One killed in Kenya blast, over 30 injured
Nairobi: One person died and more than 30 others were injured in the Kenyan capital on Sunday when an explosion in a hardware shop sparked a blaze at a neighbouring petrol station, police said.
Local television quoted police saying one person died from injuries sustained in the midday explosion at a busy street in downtown Nairobi where shanty garages and blocks of flats and shops stand side by side.
The cause of the blast, which injured about 35 people according to the police, was not immediately clear.
"We suspect an explosion inside a hardware shop adjacent to a petrol station, setting the pumps on fire. The fire has now been brought under control," Charles Owino, deputy police spokesman said by telephone.
Television footage showed widespread destruction at the scene with crowds rummaging through debris. Owino said they were still compiling details of injuries.
The east African nation has suffered bombings in the past, the most recent being a bomb on a Kampala-bound bus, that killed two people in December.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city