One killed in Kenya blast, over 30 injured
Nairobi: One person died and more than 30 others were injured in the Kenyan capital on Sunday when an explosion in a hardware shop sparked a blaze at a neighbouring petrol station, police said.
Local television quoted police saying one person died from injuries sustained in the midday explosion at a busy street in downtown Nairobi where shanty garages and blocks of flats and shops stand side by side.
The cause of the blast, which injured about 35 people according to the police, was not immediately clear.
"We suspect an explosion inside a hardware shop adjacent to a petrol station, setting the pumps on fire. The fire has now been brought under control," Charles Owino, deputy police spokesman said by telephone.
Television footage showed widespread destruction at the scene with crowds rummaging through debris. Owino said they were still compiling details of injuries.
The east African nation has suffered bombings in the past, the most recent being a bomb on a Kampala-bound bus, that killed two people in December.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'