One killed in Kenya blast, over 30 injured
Nairobi: One person died and more than 30 others were injured in the Kenyan capital on Sunday when an explosion in a hardware shop sparked a blaze at a neighbouring petrol station, police said.
Local television quoted police saying one person died from injuries sustained in the midday explosion at a busy street in downtown Nairobi where shanty garages and blocks of flats and shops stand side by side.
The cause of the blast, which injured about 35 people according to the police, was not immediately clear.
"We suspect an explosion inside a hardware shop adjacent to a petrol station, setting the pumps on fire. The fire has now been brought under control," Charles Owino, deputy police spokesman said by telephone.
Television footage showed widespread destruction at the scene with crowds rummaging through debris. Owino said they were still compiling details of injuries.
The east African nation has suffered bombings in the past, the most recent being a bomb on a Kampala-bound bus, that killed two people in December.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda