One missing as ship, ferry collide on Dutch canal
The Hague: A cargo ship collided with a small barge on a Dutch canal near the central city of Utrecht on Friday, leaving the skipper of the barge missing, police and the man`s employer said.
"There was a collision between a cargo ship and a barge" on a canal at Nieuwer Ter Aa northwest of Utrecht, a spokesman said. "One person is missing," he added.
The company that manages the barge for the Dutch government said the missing person was the skipper.
"We fear the worst. It has been four hours" since he disappeared, Swets ODV spokesman Leonard van Halst said shortly before 11.00 am (0900 GMT).
"It is likely that he will not be found."
The barge is used to transport bicycles and pedestrians across the canal.
Swets said the captain of the German cargo ship was being questioned by police.
Dutch news agency ANP reported that a sonar search was underway for the barge skipper and any other possible casualties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand