One missing as ship, ferry collide on Dutch canal
The Hague: A cargo ship collided with a small barge on a Dutch canal near the central city of Utrecht on Friday, leaving the skipper of the barge missing, police and the man`s employer said.
"There was a collision between a cargo ship and a barge" on a canal at Nieuwer Ter Aa northwest of Utrecht, a spokesman said. "One person is missing," he added.
The company that manages the barge for the Dutch government said the missing person was the skipper.
"We fear the worst. It has been four hours" since he disappeared, Swets ODV spokesman Leonard van Halst said shortly before 11.00 am (0900 GMT).
"It is likely that he will not be found."
The barge is used to transport bicycles and pedestrians across the canal.
Swets said the captain of the German cargo ship was being questioned by police.
Dutch news agency ANP reported that a sonar search was underway for the barge skipper and any other possible casualties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says