One mn people expected for Pope`s inauguration mass
Rome: Over a million people are expected in Rome for the enthronement of Pope Francis next week, the Italian capital`s top government representative said.
"We are taking measures to accommodate over a million people next Tuesday (March 19) for Pope Francis`s enthronement," said Giuseppe Pecoraro, the prefect of Rome.
March 19 is the day when Catholics celebrate the Feast of St. Joseph to honour Jesus`s father on earth, the carpenter Joseph. It is also Father`s Day in Italy.
Around 100,000 people are expected to fill St. Peters` Square Sunday when Francis is due to hold a mass and deliver the traditional Angelus prayer.
Argentine Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio was elected Pope Francis, reportedly with more than 90 votes out of 115.
He succeeded Benedict XVI, who abdicated at the end of February aged 85, saying failing physical and mental vigour made him unfit to continue to lead the world`s 1.2 billion Catholics.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India