One mn people expected for Pope`s inauguration mass
Rome: Over a million people are expected in Rome for the enthronement of Pope Francis next week, the Italian capital`s top government representative said.
"We are taking measures to accommodate over a million people next Tuesday (March 19) for Pope Francis`s enthronement," said Giuseppe Pecoraro, the prefect of Rome.
March 19 is the day when Catholics celebrate the Feast of St. Joseph to honour Jesus`s father on earth, the carpenter Joseph. It is also Father`s Day in Italy.
Around 100,000 people are expected to fill St. Peters` Square Sunday when Francis is due to hold a mass and deliver the traditional Angelus prayer.
Argentine Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio was elected Pope Francis, reportedly with more than 90 votes out of 115.
He succeeded Benedict XVI, who abdicated at the end of February aged 85, saying failing physical and mental vigour made him unfit to continue to lead the world`s 1.2 billion Catholics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach