One year after legalisation, 6,676 abortions in Uruguay
Montevideo: Tiny Uruguay, one of the few Latin American countries to have legalised abortion, saw 6,676 procedures in its first year allowing the practise, authorities said.
The number amounts to nine out of every 1,000 women age 15 to 44 having had the free procedure, Deputy Public Health Minister Leonel Briozzo said yesterday.
The statistic includes abortions that occurred from December 2012 to November 2013 in the largely rural but well-educated country of 3.3 million people.
That rate compares to 15.2 abortions per 1,000 women in Canada in 2003; 24.2 in China in 1998; and 24.8 in Cuba in 2004, according to UN data.
Leftist President Jose Mujica, a 78-year-old doctor by training, backed the change, which was approved in October 2012.
It allows women to have an abortion in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy and first 14 weeks when the mother`s health is at risk, a foetus has malformations or the pregnancy was due to rape.
Women seeking the procedure receive counselling on risks and alternatives including adoption, and then have five days to make a decision.
Among Latin American countries, Cuba is the only other to have legalised abortion.
Guyana, a former British colony, and French Guiana, an overseas department of France, also allow abortion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy