One year on, 16 more jailed for London riots
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Friday, August 10, 2012, 00:08
  
London: Sixteen people have been sentenced for a total of 73 years by a British court for their role in last year's London riots during which they went on a violent rampage and attacked a high-profile restaurant.

The Inner London Crown Court said the accused were involved in "mayhem and mob criminality" and left a "trail of destruction" on their path.

The court sentenced the 16 people for varying terms totalling 73 years and five months for crimes committed on the evening of August 2011 in the Queensway and Notting Hill areas.

Sentencing the gang who went on a 'journey of destruction' during the riots, Judge Usha Karu said: "This was the third night of the disorder, and it is a year today that you were involved in the mayhem and mob criminality which caused disturbances to law abiding public".

She added: "Today, in stark contrast to those scenes of arson, looting and damage in August last year, London is hosting the Olympics and demonstrating excellence can be achieved in sports and an inspiration to all.

However, those involved in the events of August 2011 were intent on doing the opposite".

Commenting after the sentence was pronounced, Alison Saunders, Chief Crown Prosecutor for London, said: "This was not a chance meeting of youths bent on causing disorder, but was, to a degree, a planned campaign between youths known to each other through local gangs".

She added: "Their actions terrified innocent members of the public and they left a trail of destruction in their path. In one incident, restaurant workers confronted them and they left soon after".

The Crown Prosecution Service has now successfully prosecuted nearly 2,000 people for their criminal actions during those three days.

PTI


First Published: Friday, August 10, 2012, 00:08


comments powered by Disqus