Online scammers using `FBI message` to extort mone
Washington: The FBI has warned computer users globally against a new "drive-by" virus carrying a fake message from the agency, which freezes people`s screens and demands that they pay a fine for visiting inappropriate sites.
"We`re getting inundated with complaints," said Donna Gregory from the US Internet Crime Complaint Center(IC3), referring to the virus known as Reveton ransomware, which has hit users in the United States and globally.
"Some people have actually paid the so-called fine," she said, describing the virus as "drive-by malware" that installs itself when a user clicks on a compromised website and issues a message saying a federal law has been broken.
The bogus message goes on to say that the user`s Internet address was identified by the FBI or the Department of Justice`s Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section as having been associated with child pornography sites or other illegal online activity, the FBI said in a statement.
To unlock their machines, users are required to pay a fine using a prepaid money card service, the statement said.
The Internet Crime Complaint Center is a partnership between the FBI and the National White Collar Crime Center and it was launched in 2000 to allow people to report cyber crimes to US law enforcement.
Gregory, who oversees a team of cyber crime subject matter experts, however, said there is no easy fix for users whose computers have been infected.
"We are getting dozens of complaints every day," Gregory said, noting that there is no easy fix if your computer becomes infected.
"Unlike other viruses," she explained, "Reveton freezes your computer and stops it in its tracks. And the average user will not be able to easily remove the malware," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says