Onus is on Iran in nuclear dispute: UN chief
Davos: UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon urged a resumption of dialogue between Western powers and Iran on their nuclear dispute on Friday, and said Tehran must comply with Security Council resolutions and prove conclusively that its nuclear development program is not directed to making arms.
"The onus is on Iran," said Ban, speaking here at a press conference during the annual meeting of the World Economic Forum.
"They have to prove themselves that their nuclear development program is genuinely for peaceful purposes, which they have not done yet," he said.
Ban expressed concern at the most recent report of the International Atomic Energy Agency that strongly suggested that Iran nuclear program, which it long has claimed is for development of power generation, has a military intent.
In spite of his tough words to Iran, Ban said that dialogue with the "three-plus-three" — Germany, France and Britain plus Russia, China and the United States — is the path forward.
"There is no other alternative for addressing this crisis than peaceful ... resolution through dialogue," said Ban.
Ban noted that there have been a total of five Security Council resolutions so far on the Iranian nuclear program, four calling for sanctions.
As tensions have been on the rise recently, some political leaders in Israel and the United States have been speaking increasingly of the possibility of a military strike to eliminate, or at least slow down, what they allege is a determined effort by Iran to obtain nuclear weapons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!