Onus is on Iran in nuclear dispute: UN chief
Davos: UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon urged a resumption of dialogue between Western powers and Iran on their nuclear dispute on Friday, and said Tehran must comply with Security Council resolutions and prove conclusively that its nuclear development program is not directed to making arms.
"The onus is on Iran," said Ban, speaking here at a press conference during the annual meeting of the World Economic Forum.
"They have to prove themselves that their nuclear development program is genuinely for peaceful purposes, which they have not done yet," he said.
Ban expressed concern at the most recent report of the International Atomic Energy Agency that strongly suggested that Iran nuclear program, which it long has claimed is for development of power generation, has a military intent.
In spite of his tough words to Iran, Ban said that dialogue with the "three-plus-three" — Germany, France and Britain plus Russia, China and the United States — is the path forward.
"There is no other alternative for addressing this crisis than peaceful ... resolution through dialogue," said Ban.
Ban noted that there have been a total of five Security Council resolutions so far on the Iranian nuclear program, four calling for sanctions.
As tensions have been on the rise recently, some political leaders in Israel and the United States have been speaking increasingly of the possibility of a military strike to eliminate, or at least slow down, what they allege is a determined effort by Iran to obtain nuclear weapons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- 2 million couples apply for second child in China last year
- Aanand L Rai mum on casting Katrina, says film with Shah Rukh Khan 'important'
- 'Happy Bhaag Jayegi' helmer's next is a biopic on poet Batalvi
- West Indies vs India, 1st Test, Day 1 — Dhawan, Kohli put up good show
- India's bid continues to be under consideration of NSG: Government