Onus on US to keep military ties stable: China
Beijing: China said on Friday the onus was on the United States to keep defence ties between the nations stable, state media reported, as its second-ranking military officer prepared to travel to Washington.
Qian Lihua, Defence Ministry spokesman, said that after the new US administration came to power, US officials recognised the importance of maintaining and developing military ties, the official China News Service said.
"But the key to whether this momentum can be maintained long-term and in a stable fashion lies in whether the United States can really respect China`s core interests and concerns," Qian was quoted as saying.
It also lies in whether Washington can "properly handle a series of important issues in bilateral relations, including the Taiwan issue, and firm up the political foundation of the development of military ties," he added.
General Xu Caihou, vice chairman of China`s central military commission, is to hold high-level meetings in the United States from October 24-31, and visit military commands and bases across the country.
Military relations between the two nations have been strained in recent years.
China is in the midst of a drive to modernise its armed forces and has announced large military budget increases in recent years, prompting US officials to question Beijing`s intentions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- On Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu's feats: Hats off to women for saving our respect in front of whole world, says Pullela Gopichand
- WATCH: Usain Bolt attempted javelin throw at Rio 2016 - His effort will shock you!
- Kareena Kapoor Khan opens up on her pregnancy, says she is proud of it!
- PHOTO (Inside): Not for the faint-hearted! Saina Nehwal shares image of her knee's broken bone
- 'Domestic airfares to decline at lower rate in Q2'