Onus on US to keep military ties stable: China
Beijing: China said on Friday the onus was on the United States to keep defence ties between the nations stable, state media reported, as its second-ranking military officer prepared to travel to Washington.
Qian Lihua, Defence Ministry spokesman, said that after the new US administration came to power, US officials recognised the importance of maintaining and developing military ties, the official China News Service said.
"But the key to whether this momentum can be maintained long-term and in a stable fashion lies in whether the United States can really respect China`s core interests and concerns," Qian was quoted as saying.
It also lies in whether Washington can "properly handle a series of important issues in bilateral relations, including the Taiwan issue, and firm up the political foundation of the development of military ties," he added.
General Xu Caihou, vice chairman of China`s central military commission, is to hold high-level meetings in the United States from October 24-31, and visit military commands and bases across the country.
Military relations between the two nations have been strained in recent years.
China is in the midst of a drive to modernise its armed forces and has announced large military budget increases in recent years, prompting US officials to question Beijing`s intentions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?