Openings set in cleaver killing of NYC therapist
New York: Jurors are about to start hearing about the meat-cleaver murder of a Manhattan psychotherapist, after five years of uncertainty about whether her mentally ill killer ever could go on trial.
Opening statements are set today in David Tarloff`s case. Tarloff`s lawyers don`t dispute that he killed Kathryn Faughey (FAW`-hee) in 2008. But they argue that his schizophrenia made him unable to understand that what he was doing was wrong.
Prosecutors and Faughey`s family say Tarloff carried out a considered, criminal plan.
Tarloff has said he aimed to rob Faughey`s officemate to get money to take his ailing mother to Hawaii.
Tarloff was deemed mentally unfit for court months later. After doctors said his condition had improved, jury selection got started in 2010, but then he was declared unfit again.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars