Openings set in cleaver killing of NYC therapist
New York: Jurors are about to start hearing about the meat-cleaver murder of a Manhattan psychotherapist, after five years of uncertainty about whether her mentally ill killer ever could go on trial.
Opening statements are set today in David Tarloff`s case. Tarloff`s lawyers don`t dispute that he killed Kathryn Faughey (FAW`-hee) in 2008. But they argue that his schizophrenia made him unable to understand that what he was doing was wrong.
Prosecutors and Faughey`s family say Tarloff carried out a considered, criminal plan.
Tarloff has said he aimed to rob Faughey`s officemate to get money to take his ailing mother to Hawaii.
Tarloff was deemed mentally unfit for court months later. After doctors said his condition had improved, jury selection got started in 2010, but then he was declared unfit again.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- Pandal Politics: Shiv Sena slams Bombay High Court's order- Part 2
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes