Operation to kill Osama was risky: Panetta
Washington: US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta today said the daring operation to kill Osama bin Laden at his Abbottabad safe house in Pakistan was very risky as the al- Qaeda chief`s presence there was not 100 per cent confirmed.
As Director of the CIA, Panetta played a leading role in the finding and killing of bin Laden. Subsequently he was made the Defense Secretary by President Barack Obama.
"What I saw... Was a very professional intelligence operation that was able to determine the location of the compound in Abbottabad," Panetta told reporters in his final press conference as the Defense Secretary.
If confirmed by the Senate, he would be replaced by Chuck Hagel, the former Nebraska Senator.
"I think despite all of the work that was done on the intelligence side... We were putting the bits and pieces together, we never had a hundred per cent confidence that it was bin Laden who was located there. So from the very beginning, it was always very risky because we didn`t know that in fact it was bin Laden," he said.
"We continued to look at the intelligence. It seemed to all point to it being bin Laden, but very frankly, we did not have a hundred percent," he said.
Panetta disclosed that during planning for the operation, there were a lot of different views that raised questions and concerns about whether or not the US should do this.
"I remained very confident that, with the information we had, the best information we`d had on bin Laden since Tora Bora, that it was important for us not to simply ignore what we had but to take action and to go in and determine whether or not it was him," Panetta said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP triumphs across state; hung verdict in BMC elections
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test