Oppn moves to impeach new Thai Foreign Minister
Bangkok: The opposition Democrat Party has submitted a list with 130 MP signatures to the Senate, in a bid to impeach the new Foreign Minister for violating the constitution in requesting a Japanese entry visa for ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra.
Democrat MP Wirat Kalayasiri handed the list to Senate Speaker General Teeradet Meepian today to seek the impeachment of Foreign Minister Surapong Towijakchaikul.
Wirat claimed it was malfeasance for Surapong in his present capacity to meet with Japanese ambassador to Thailand Seiji Kojima and seek aid for Thaksin`s travel to Japan.
Wirat cited a media report saying that the Japanese government issued a visa for Thaksin following a request from the Thai government.
The Democrat MP also claimed that Surapong`s actions obviously violated Section 176 of the 2007 constitution.
Meanwhile, General Teeradet said he would inform the Senate of the impeachment request, and would verify the signature list within 30 days, before forwarding the case to
the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) for further investigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon