`Oppose US; recognise Palestinian state`
Cairo: Al-Azhar, the top Sunni Muslim authority, on Thursday called on the “free world” to recognise a Palestinian state at the United Nations.
“Al-Azhar asks all the countries in the free world to stand alongside Palestine so that it can enjoy stability like any other country in the world, and vote for its recognition” at the UN, Sheikh Ahmed al-Tayeb, grand imam of the Cairo-based Al-Azhar, said in a statement.
He also “renewed his call to the free world to oppose the American administration” which announced that it would veto the Palestinian bid to seek full UN recognition for their state.
Palestinian leader Mahmud Abbas is due to submit that request to the UN Security Council on Friday after addressing the General Assembly, despite staunch opposition from Washington and Israel, and the US decision to veto the request.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler