`Oppose US; recognise Palestinian state`
Cairo: Al-Azhar, the top Sunni Muslim authority, on Thursday called on the “free world” to recognise a Palestinian state at the United Nations.
“Al-Azhar asks all the countries in the free world to stand alongside Palestine so that it can enjoy stability like any other country in the world, and vote for its recognition” at the UN, Sheikh Ahmed al-Tayeb, grand imam of the Cairo-based Al-Azhar, said in a statement.
He also “renewed his call to the free world to oppose the American administration” which announced that it would veto the Palestinian bid to seek full UN recognition for their state.
Palestinian leader Mahmud Abbas is due to submit that request to the UN Security Council on Friday after addressing the General Assembly, despite staunch opposition from Washington and Israel, and the US decision to veto the request.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal