`Oppose US; recognise Palestinian state`
Cairo: Al-Azhar, the top Sunni Muslim authority, on Thursday called on the “free world” to recognise a Palestinian state at the United Nations.
“Al-Azhar asks all the countries in the free world to stand alongside Palestine so that it can enjoy stability like any other country in the world, and vote for its recognition” at the UN, Sheikh Ahmed al-Tayeb, grand imam of the Cairo-based Al-Azhar, said in a statement.
He also “renewed his call to the free world to oppose the American administration” which announced that it would veto the Palestinian bid to seek full UN recognition for their state.
Palestinian leader Mahmud Abbas is due to submit that request to the UN Security Council on Friday after addressing the General Assembly, despite staunch opposition from Washington and Israel, and the US decision to veto the request.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa