"Opposing forces" win six out of seven drills in PLA war games
Beijing: China`s formidable People`s Liberation Army (PLA) had some bitter lessons from a recent war drill, where they were defeated in six out of seven battles by an "opposing force," a media report said today.
The drills pitted for the first time PLA`s `red` teams from seven military area commands against the `blue` team, or the "opposing force", playing the enemy, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The country`s first permanent professional "opposing force", an infantry brigade from Beijing Military Area Command, was the rival during the exercise which ended on Monday, a report in today`s People`s Daily said.
Before the exercise commenced, no one was sure about the outcome, it said.
In the end, however, the blue team won six out of seven battles, defeating every area command except Shenyang, Xinhua said.
The exercises were aimed at toughening up the PLA troops by making soldiers practice as if they were fighting a real war has offered valuable new training methods, it said.
Unlike previous exercises, which were usually scripted, this year`s exercise was "for real".
Wan Fazhong, Brigade Commander of a `red` team from Lanzhou Military Area Command said that the exercise was the first step for the army to become combat-ready.
"The more the opposing force resembles the enemy, the more we can toughen up our combat capabilities," Wan said.
Earlier Col Geng Yansheng, a Ministry of Defense spokesman, said China has established its first professional "opposing force" and that it was an important step to strengthen real combat training.
Geng said what kind of enemy the "opposing force" would play will be decided by the purpose and content of the training.
PLA, which is currently modernising itself, has stepped up the drive for combat-readiness amid rising tensions with Japan over the disputed islands besides maritime disputes in South China Sea and US military`s push into the Asia-Pacific.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH