Opposition march dispersed in Guinea, 4 killed
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Wednesday, September 28, 2011, 11:54
  
Conakry: Opposition supporters attempting to join a march were violently dispersed and at least four people were killed when paramilitary police seized control of traffic circles and lobbed tear gas at people walking toward the meeting point, an official has said.

Opposition leader Cellou Dalein Diallo, who lost last year's election to President Alpha Conde, told The Associated Press by telephone that one of the four dead bodies was dumped in front of the headquarters of his party, the Union of the Democratic Forces of Guinea.

Three others were at the local morgue, he said. Prime Minister Mohamed Said Fofana addressed the nation on last evening state television broadcast and said 23 police officers were hospitalised with injuries after being hit by rocks thrown by protesters.

They were matching to express mounting unease over upcoming parliament elections which Diallo and others say are being rigged.

He said just two people had died, but reporters who were present when he visited the local morgue said the premier arrived after one of the three bodies stored there already had been picked up by relatives.

"We deplore these acts, which do nothing to advance our democracy and we regret that blood of another Guinean has once more been spilled," Fofana said.

PTI


First Published: Wednesday, September 28, 2011, 11:54


comments powered by Disqus