Opposition march dispersed in Guinea, 4 killed
Conakry: Opposition supporters
attempting to join a march were violently dispersed and at least four people were killed when paramilitary police seized control of traffic circles and lobbed tear gas at people walking toward the meeting point, an official has said.
Opposition leader Cellou Dalein Diallo, who lost last
year`s election to President Alpha Conde, told The Associated
Press by telephone that one of the four dead bodies was dumped
in front of the headquarters of his party, the Union of the
Democratic Forces of Guinea.
Three others were at the local morgue, he said.
Prime Minister Mohamed Said Fofana addressed the nation on
last evening state television broadcast and said 23 police
officers were hospitalised with injuries after being hit by
rocks thrown by protesters.
They were matching to express mounting unease over
upcoming parliament elections which Diallo and others say are
He said just two people had died, but reporters who were
present when he visited the local morgue said the premier
arrived after one of the three bodies stored there already had
been picked up by relatives.
"We deplore these acts, which do nothing to advance our
democracy and we regret that blood of another Guinean has once
more been spilled," Fofana said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!