Opposition march dispersed in Guinea, 4 killed
Conakry: Opposition supporters
attempting to join a march were violently dispersed and at least four people were killed when paramilitary police seized control of traffic circles and lobbed tear gas at people walking toward the meeting point, an official has said.
Opposition leader Cellou Dalein Diallo, who lost last
year`s election to President Alpha Conde, told The Associated
Press by telephone that one of the four dead bodies was dumped
in front of the headquarters of his party, the Union of the
Democratic Forces of Guinea.
Three others were at the local morgue, he said.
Prime Minister Mohamed Said Fofana addressed the nation on
last evening state television broadcast and said 23 police
officers were hospitalised with injuries after being hit by
rocks thrown by protesters.
They were matching to express mounting unease over
upcoming parliament elections which Diallo and others say are
He said just two people had died, but reporters who were
present when he visited the local morgue said the premier
arrived after one of the three bodies stored there already had
been picked up by relatives.
"We deplore these acts, which do nothing to advance our
democracy and we regret that blood of another Guinean has once
more been spilled," Fofana said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi