Opposition supporters rally in Bahrain despite ban
Manama: Demonstrators are gathering at the
headquarters of Bahrain`s main opposition party in the island
nation`s capital despite a government ban.
The Saturday protest in front of Al Wefaq`s offices in
Manama is a show of defiance by the party, the main backer of
the Shiite majority`s campaign to be granted greater rights
and freedoms by Bahrain`s Sunni dynasty.
Thousands of demonstrators waved Bahraini flags and
changed slogans amid a massive security presence.
Bahrain`s 10 month-old uprising sees daily clashes between
demonstrators and security forces, but Al Wefaq usually
refrains from organizing protests unless given a permit.
At least 40 people have died since the unrest began in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation