Opposition warns Assad as Syrian troops tighten grip
Damascus: Syrian opposition figures on Wednesday
warned embattled President Bashar al-Assad that his regime
will collapse if he fails to usher in democracy, as troops
kept their grip on the flashpoint town of Daraa.
Five EU countries meanwhile are summoning Syria`s
ambassadors over the violent crackdown on protesters, France
said today, saying it was joined in the move by Britain,
Germany, Italy and Spain.
According to rights activists, the military assault on
Daraa, 100 kilometres south of Damascus, has killed more than
30 people since Monday.
As the military assault on the agricultural town near
the Jordan border entered its third day, the newly-formed
National Initiative for Change (NIC) said a democratic
transition will "safeguard the nation from falling into a
period of violence, chaos and civil war."
"Either the ruling regime leads itself in a peaceful
transition towards democracy... or it will go through a
process of popular protests that will evolve into a massive
and grassroots revolution that will break down the regime and
carry Syria through a period of transition after a wave of
violence and instability," a NIC statement said.
"If the Syrian president does not wish to be recorded
in history as a leader of this transition period, there is no
alternative left for Syrians except to move forward along the
same path as did the Tunisians, Egyptians and Libyans before
them," added NIC, an umbrella group of more than 150
opposition activists in Syria and abroad.
A wave of uprising in the Arab world since December
has already toppled the presidents of Tunisia and Egypt, while
it has led to a fiery rebellion in Libya.
Syria has been rocked by massive pro-democracy
protests since mid-March in which at least 400 people have
been killed, according to human rights activists.
Protesters have taken to streets even after Assad
scrapped nearly five decades of draconian emergency rule and
abolished the repressive state security court on Thursday last
In what activists decried as a military solution by
Assad`s regime, some 3,000-5,000 troops backed by tanks and
snipers swept into Daraa on Monday.
An activist in the town said security forces shot dead
at least six people yesterday, following the deaths of 25 the
The army said troops entered Daraa "in response to
calls for help" from citizens to rid them of "extremist
terrorist groups" behind a spate of killings and sabotage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings