`Oregon mall shooter’s jammed rifle averted tragedy`
Washington: A masked gunman, who killed two and injured one in a Portland, Oregon mall before killing himself, might have taken many more lives, had his military-style assault rifle not jammed in the midst of his shooting spree, authorities said.
Jacob Tyler Roberts, 22, was armed with an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle, which he stole from an acquaintance, Clackamas County Sheriff Craig Roberts said at a press conference.
The sheriff said the gun jammed as Roberts shot into the Clackamas Town Centre’s food court, allowing potential victims to escape.
Police estimated 10,000 shoppers were in the mall at the time of the shooting, the Huffington Post reports.
The sheriff said that Roberts wore a hockey mask and a military-style vest holding multiple ammunition clips.
"I think we all need to be very thankful that this incident wasn’t much worse," he said.
"Based on the evidence we obtained, it appeared that the suspect’s rifle did jam while he was attacking individuals in the food court," he added.
He said that Roberts was able to get the gun working again and fatally shot himself after fleeing to another area of the mall, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured