Oregon mall shooting gunman identified
Washington: The US police have identified the masked gunman who fatally shot two people at a crowded Oregon mall before killing himself minutes later as Jacob Tyler Roberts.
Roberts, 22, was armed with a stolen AR-15 semi-automatic weapon, Sheriff Craig Roberts told a news conference, and was not wearing a bullet-proof vest as previously reported.
The sheriff told ‘Good Morning America’ the gunman was intent on killing ‘as many people as possible’.
"At this time we do not understand the motive of this attack except to say no apparent relationship between suspect and victims," the sheriff said at the news conference.
According to ABC News, witness said that the shooter, wearing a white hockey mask and black clothing, tore through the mall just before 3:30 pm on Tuesday, entering through a Macy`s store and heading to the food court and public areas spraying bullets.
"We have been able to identify the shooter over this last night," Roberts said.
"I believe, at least from the information that`s been provided to me at this point in time, it really was a killing of total strangers. To my knowledge at this point in time he was really trying, I think, to kill as many people as possible," he added.
Police said that Roberts had stolen the gun from someone he knew, and was equipped with a load bearing vest and ‘several’ fully loaded magazines.
Police are still trying to determine how many shots were fired.
Roberts, who attended Clackamas Community college, said on his Facebook page that he worked in a gyro shop in downtown Portland and posted a picture of himself firing a gun at a target.
His Facebook photo showed graffiti in which the words ‘Follow Your Dreams’ were painted over with the word ‘Cancelled’, the report said.
Authorities have yet to identify a motive for the shooting and said they are still piecing together the suspect’s actions leading up to it, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why