Osama bin Laden was blind in right eye, says Zawahiri
London: Al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri has reportedly given an hour-long account of the life of Osama bin Laden, revealing that the terrorist mastermind was blind in one eye and was a Muslim Brotherhood member once.
In the video, the third in a series entitled "Days with the Imam," Zawahiri narrates stories about bin Laden who was killed in a raid by US Navy Seals in May 2011 at his compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan, The Telegraph reports.
In the video, Zawahiri revealed that "for those who do not know", the Saudi-born bin Laden was left blind in the right eye after an accident in his youth.
He also said bin Laden was a former member of the Saudi branch of the Muslim Brotherhood before being evicted for insisting on jihad against the Soviet Union in Afghanistan in the 1980s, the paper said.
Zawahiri said that Bin Laden had traveled to Pakistan to deliver money to the jihadists in Peshawar but apparently defied orders from the Brotherhood, following which he joined the armed struggle.
It is for the first time such claims have surfaced where bin Laden`s links to the Brotherhood have been articulated by a member of his inner circle.
Zawahiri``s latest video, in which he is dressed in a white cloak and turban, was posted on a jihadist forum, and appeared to be around two months old as he offered greetings to Muslims for the start of the fasting month of Ramadan which ended on August 20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH