Osama bin Laden was mass murderer who offered hate: Obama
Washington: Al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden, who was shot dead by US special forces in a covert operation in Pakistan, was a mass murderer who offered nothing but hatred to the world, US President Barack Obama said on Thursday.
"Bin Laden was no martyr. He was a mass murderer who offered a message of hate, an insistence that Muslims had to take up arms against the West, and that violence against men, women and children was the only path to change," Obama said in his major policy speech on the recent development in the Middle East and North African countries.
"He (bin Laden) rejected democracy and individual rights for Muslims in favour or violent extremism. His agenda focused on what he could destroy, not what he could build," he said, adding that bin Laden and his murderous vision won some adherents.
"But even before his death, al Qaeda was losing its struggle for relevance, as the overwhelming majority of people saw that the slaughter of innocents did not answer their cries for a better life," he said.
"By the time we found bin Laden, al Qaeda`s agenda had come to be seen by the vast majority of the region as a dead end, and the people of the Middle East and North Africa had taken their future into their own hands," Obama said.
The US President said his Administration has done much to shift its foreign policy following a decade defined by two costly conflicts.
"After years of war in Iraq, we`ve removed 100,000 American troops and ended our combat mission there. In Afghanistan, we`ve broken the Taliban`s momentum, and this July we will begin to bring our troops home and continue a transition to Afghan lead," he said.
“And after years of war against al Qaeda and its affiliates, we have dealt al Qaeda a huge blow by killing its leader, Osama bin Laden," added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living