Osama bin Laden's son-in-law must get life in prison: US
New York: New York prosecutors are saying a life prison sentence is the only answer for the son-in-law of Osama bin Laden after he was convicted for his role as al-Qaida's spokesman after the September 11 attacks.
In papers submitted yesterday, prosecutors said a life sentence for Sulaiman Abu Ghaith sends an important deterrent message to would-be terrorists.
Abu Ghaith was convicted in March of charges that included conspiracy to kill Americans and providing support to al-Qaida. Abu Ghaith is a Kuwaiti-born imam who married bin Laden's eldest daughter about five years ago.
He is the highest-ranking al-Qaida figure brought to trial on US soil since the 2001 attacks. Sentencing is set for September 23.
Earlier this month, defense lawyer Stanley Cohen recommended a 15-year sentence.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Rahul Gandhi visits ailing Sushma Swaraj at AIIMS
- Anybody can play Sangeeta Bijlani's role but not Naureen's: Prachi Desai
- Coal scam: Rungtas move HC against conviction, CBI reply sought
- Riteish Deshmukh has a new name for Tiger Shroff
- WATCH: Urvashi Rautela's sizzling dance with Dwayne Bravo at a party!