Osama bin Laden's son-in-law must get life in prison: US
New York: New York prosecutors are saying a life prison sentence is the only answer for the son-in-law of Osama bin Laden after he was convicted for his role as al-Qaida's spokesman after the September 11 attacks.
In papers submitted yesterday, prosecutors said a life sentence for Sulaiman Abu Ghaith sends an important deterrent message to would-be terrorists.
Abu Ghaith was convicted in March of charges that included conspiracy to kill Americans and providing support to al-Qaida. Abu Ghaith is a Kuwaiti-born imam who married bin Laden's eldest daughter about five years ago.
He is the highest-ranking al-Qaida figure brought to trial on US soil since the 2001 attacks. Sentencing is set for September 23.
Earlier this month, defense lawyer Stanley Cohen recommended a 15-year sentence.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India