Osama bin Laden's son-in-law must get life in prison: US
New York: New York prosecutors are saying a life prison sentence is the only answer for the son-in-law of Osama bin Laden after he was convicted for his role as al-Qaida's spokesman after the September 11 attacks.
In papers submitted yesterday, prosecutors said a life sentence for Sulaiman Abu Ghaith sends an important deterrent message to would-be terrorists.
Abu Ghaith was convicted in March of charges that included conspiracy to kill Americans and providing support to al-Qaida. Abu Ghaith is a Kuwaiti-born imam who married bin Laden's eldest daughter about five years ago.
He is the highest-ranking al-Qaida figure brought to trial on US soil since the 2001 attacks. Sentencing is set for September 23.
Earlier this month, defense lawyer Stanley Cohen recommended a 15-year sentence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part II
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part III
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part IV
- As Virat Kohli and co prepare for WI tour, MS Dhoni enjoys bike ride in Ranchi rain
- Ramayana had another heroine besides SITA – Know more about her contributions
- Samajwadi Party 'goondaraj' in UP? Azam Khan slaps Project Engineer
- This gene puts you at increased kidney disease risk
- 7th Pay Commission: Here's why the latest bonanza won't amuse govt staffers much