Osama bin Laden's son-in-law must get life in prison: US
New York: New York prosecutors are saying a life prison sentence is the only answer for the son-in-law of Osama bin Laden after he was convicted for his role as al-Qaida's spokesman after the September 11 attacks.
In papers submitted yesterday, prosecutors said a life sentence for Sulaiman Abu Ghaith sends an important deterrent message to would-be terrorists.
Abu Ghaith was convicted in March of charges that included conspiracy to kill Americans and providing support to al-Qaida. Abu Ghaith is a Kuwaiti-born imam who married bin Laden's eldest daughter about five years ago.
He is the highest-ranking al-Qaida figure brought to trial on US soil since the 2001 attacks. Sentencing is set for September 23.
Earlier this month, defense lawyer Stanley Cohen recommended a 15-year sentence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed