‘Osama did not come up with the 9/11 plot’
London: It was not Osama bin Laden who had
come up with the 9/11 plot, a new book has claimed which also
says that he had initially dismissed the plan.
When the strike was first proposed to him in 1996 the
al Qaeda leader was `noncommittal` and refused to give his
It was not until three years later before he could be
brought around and another five years before the deadliest
attack on US soil since Pearl Harbour eventually took place.
The book, titled `The Hunt for KSM: Inside the Pursuit and
Takedown of the Real 9/11 Mastermind, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed`,
also gives the first in depth account of the the problems the
FBI and CIA had hunting down al Qaeda after 9/11.
It includes one farcical raid where a key suspect who was
severely wounded nearly died when after almost being dropped
20ft onto airport runway by bungling agents.
The book, explains that it was not actually bin Laden who
came up with the idea for the September 11 plot, the Daily
Instead it was brought to him by Mohammed and Abdul Hakim
Murad, one of those behind the Manila Air plot to plant bombs
aboard a dozen US commercial aircraft.
During a meeting in Pakistan in 1996 between the three of
them Murad was the one to suggest crash landing aircraft into
the CIA headquarters or perhaps a nuclear reactor.
"(Murad said) If you did this you needn`t go through the
precise and exacting process of building bombs. You didn`t
need bombs at all," the book says.
"Bin Laden was noncommittal. He told KSM (Mohammed) he
appreciated the ideas and would give them due consideration",
It took three years before bin Laden changed his mind, but
even then he only backed a `slimmed down` version of the plan
using four or five planes which turned into the horror that
emerged on 9/11, according to the book.
In `The Hunt for KSM`, authors Terry McDermott and Josh
Meyer also lay out how the pursuit of Mohammed was badly
hampered by bickering between the CIA and the FBI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth