Osama’s deputy lauds slain al Qaeda leaders
Baghdad: Al Qaeda`s second-in-command Ayman al-Zawahiri has in an audio taped message paid homage to two of his associates killed in Iraq last month.
Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden is also expected to release an audio message to honour the dead pair, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi and Ayub al-Masri, in the next few days, according to jihadist websites on Thursday.
"You, al-Baghdadi, were a great leader of the Islamic State of Iraq, you knew how take it over most ably from your comrade in arms, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi," said the taped message, aired by Al-Jazeera TV, which is yet to be authenticated.
The al Qaeda affiliated Islamic State of Iraq is an umbrella group made up a number of insurgent groups. Jordanian-born Al-Zarqawi, who was believed to have personally carried out a series of beheadings, died in an air raid on his hideout in Iraq in 2006.
Al-Baghdadi was the political leader of al Qaeda in Iraq.
He and al-Masri, an Egyptian militant who was the insurgent group`s self-styled "minister of war", were killed on April 18 in a joint US-Iraq operation near the northern city of Tikrit.
Al Qaeda linked Somali insurgent group Al-Shabab, al Qaeda`s North African branch al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb and several other Islamist militant groups operating in the Gaza Strip have all released messages of condolences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi