Osama`s son-in-law to face trial in January 2014
New York: Osama bin Laden`s son-in-law, charged here last month with conspiring to kill American nationals, will face trial in January next year, a US judge has ruled.
Sulaiman Abu Ghaith had appeared with bin Laden and his then-deputy Ayman al-Zawahiri after the 9/11 attacks and spoke on behalf of al-Qaeda and in support of its mission.
He had warned that 9/11 type attacks would continue.
US District Judge Lewis Kaplan ordered that the "trial shall commence on Januray 7, 2014" in a ruling yesterday.
Ghaith pleaded not guilty last month to the charges he participated in a conspiracy to kill United States nationals.
He faces a maximum term of imprisonment of life if he convicted.
A trial date for next year was set after federal public defenders said they would not be able to properly defend Ghaith due to expected federal budget cuts and mandatory furloughs.
Kaplan said it was "extremely troublesome" that the trial would be delayed due to the budget cuts.
According to the superseding indictment filed against Ghaith, Laden had summoned Gaith on the evening of September 11 attacks and asked for his assistance.
Ghaith appeared with the former al-Qaeda leader and Zawahiri and spoke on behalf of the terror network, warning the US and its allies that "(a) great army is gathering against you" and called upon "the nation of Islam" to do battle against "the Jews, the Christians and the Americans".
After the September 11 terrorist attacks, Ghaith delivered a speech in which he addressed the then-US Secretary of State and warned that "the storms shall not stop, especially the Airplanes Storm," and advised Muslims, children, and opponents of the United States "not to board any aircraft and not to live in high rises".
Ghaith was married to one of Bin Laden`s daughters, Fatima.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news