Oscar win victory over Israel: Iran state TV
Tehran: Iran`s state TV has described the country`s foreign film Oscar win as a victory over Israel.
The Monday broadcast says the award won by "The Separation" succeeded in "leaving behind" a film from the "Zionist regime”, a reference to the country`s arch-foe Israel.
"A Separation”, a tale of domestic turmoil, competed in the Oscars` foreign language category against the Israeli "Footnote”, about a rivalry between father-son Talmudic scholars.
Traditionally, Iranian officials are dismissive of international cultural ceremonies.
Iran has a long tradition of cultural achievements in cinema, literature and the arts. But clampdowns by hard-liners in recent years have included artists and others, forcing some to flee the country or work underground.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details