Other countries using Nobel Peace Prize to attack us: China
Beijing: China today held the Norwegian Government responsible for the "erroneous" decision of the Nobel Committee to name jailed activist Liu Xiaobo for the coveted Peace Prize and accused other countries of using the award to attack it.
In an apparent reference to countries like US which have demanded the release of Liu, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Ma Zhaoxu said trying to change the country`s
political system by awarding the prize to an imprisoned dissident was a mistake.
"To give the peace prize to a convicted person in China...this shows no respect for judicial system in China. What a convicted person should be allowed or not allowed to do
is up to judicial authority," Ma told reporters here.
He was replying to a volley of questions on China`s anger over awarding of the Nobel Peace Prize to Liu, who is currently serving a 11-year jail sentence for subverting state
Ma evaded a direct reply when asked whether China would allow his wife to receive the award in Oslo later this year. When told that Liu`s wife Liu Xia had no cases against
her, he said "You are talking about his wife is it. I have no information."
"Politicians from some counties are using this opportunity (award) to attack China. This is not only disrespect to China`s judicial system but also put a big question on their true intention," he said. US President Barack Obama and several global leaders have demanded the release of Liu after he was named this year`s Nobel peace prize winner.
"If some people try to change China`s political system in this way and try to stop Chinese people moving forward, that is obviously making a mistake," the spokesman said.
Ma attacked the Norwegian government, saying that the the award was given despite a warning from China that such a move would damage the ties. "Norwegian Government supported the erroneous decision of the Nobel committee. What it did has hurt the bilateral relations. There is every reason for Chinese people to be unhappy."
"As a responsible government, it (Norway) is supposed to know what it should and should not do," he said. The bilateral ties between the two countries "maintained sound momentum" in the recent times but the award to Liu "however ran counter to the principles of the Nobel prize and damaged the China-Norway relations".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM