Ouattara asks ICC to probe Ivory Coast crimes
The Hague: Ivory Coast President Alassane Ouattara has asked the International Criminal Court prosecutor to launch an inquiry into "the most serious crimes" committed since last November`s violence-wracked election.
In the letter dated May 03, Ouattara expresses "my wish that your office carries out independent and impartial inquiries in Ivory Coast into the most serious crimes committed since November 28, 2010 throughout the Ivorian territory."
The letter, published on The Hague court`s website on Wednesday, also calls on the prosecutor to identify and bring to justice those found to bear the most criminal responsibility.
Ouattara, who has been in power since the April arrest of strongman Laurent Gbagbo, said last month that he was going to call on the ICC to open investigations.
ICC prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo on May 03 said that his office was preparing to launch a formal probe into alleged mass killings in Ivory Coast.
The ICC said it was particularly concerned about reported massacres in the west of the war-torn country.
Several hundred people were reportedly massacred in the western town of Duekoue, with forces loyal to rivals Gbagbo and Ouattara blaming each other.
Human Rights Watch has said that forces loyal to Ouattara killed or raped hundreds of people and burned villages during a rampage in late March.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues