Ousted Kyrgyz leader`s defence minister arrested: Report
Bishkek: Kyrgyzstan`s former defence minister, a key ally of the country`s ousted president Kurmanbek Bakiyev, was arrested today by the new interim government, Kyrgyz media reported.
"Former defence minister, Baktybek Kaliyev, was arrested in southern Kyrgyzstan," said Azattyk radio, the Kyrgyz-language version of US-funded Radio Liberty/Radio Free Europe, without citing its sources.
"He is accused of giving an illegal order to fire on unarmed citizens, leading to the deaths of dozens of citizens," it said, referring to the violent protests last week that overthrew Kyrgyzstan`s government.
Forces of the new interim government have launched a special operation to arrest the ousted president`s brother as well as Kaliyev, said the interim government`s defence minister Ismail Isakov.
"An operation has begun to seize the brother of Kurmanbek Bakiyev, ex-head of the presidential guard Janysh Bakiyev, and former defence minister Bakyt Kaliyev," Isakov told Azattyk radio.
"They are accused in the shooting of demonstrators on April 07," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi