Ousted Kyrgyz President leaves Kazakhstan
Moscow: Kyrgystan`s ousted President
Kurmanbek Bakiyev has left Kazakhstan, where he had taken
refuge following a violent uprising in his country, a Kazakh
official said on Monday.
Bakiyev, who had fled the Kyrgyzstan capital Bishkek in
the wake of violent protests on April 7, was airlifted to the
neighbouring country by Kazakh commando group from his native
town of Jalal-Abad and since then was in Almaty with his wife
and two younger children.
"According to my information, Bakiyev has left
Kazakhstan. I do not know anything about his current
whereabouts," Kazakh Foreign Ministry spokesman Askar
Abdrakhmanov was quoted as saying by Kazakh news agencies.
Meanwhile, the supporters of the deposed president in the
southern region of Jalal-Abad have claimed the reports of
Bakiyev`s resignation are false.
They said their leader is returning back to the Central
Asian country and has already appointed a local governor loyal
to him, Kommersant FM radio reported.
Earlier, Belarus President Alexander Lukashenka, had
invited Bakiyev to Minsk and promised to treat him as the Head
Lukashenka, who has the reputation of `last dictator of
Europe`, attacked the peace deal brokered by US President
Barack Obama, his Russian counterpart Dmitry Medvedev and
Kazakh President Nursultan.
Lukashenka backed the use of force by Bakiyev against
protestors, in which 84 people were killed and 1500 injured.
"Any government is worth nothing if it cannot protect
itself," Lukashenka was quoted as saying by Interfax.
Meanwhile, the interim government of Prime Minister Roza
Otunbayeva has announced that the Bakiyev family`s assets
would be used to compensate the riot victims.
The interim government, which has announced plans to hold
referendum on new Kyrgyz constitution in October, is facing
the challenge of violent land and property grabbing by rival
In capital Bishkek, the police had to squeeze the violent
mob out of the city, when it was grabbing empty lands in the
outskirts. Moscow has formally complained about the grabbing
of the property of ethnic Russians living or doing business in
the former Soviet republic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow