Outcry in US after raped Liberian girl is shunned by family
Phoenix (US): Lured by promises of chewing
gum then allegedly raped in a shed by four boys barely older
than her, an 8-year-old Liberian girl is now in foster care
and living with strangers after being shunned by her family.
The alleged sexual assault in Phoenix and reaction by
her family have sparked an international outcry, reaching all
the way to the president of Liberia, the home country of the
girl`s family and the four young suspects.
"I think that family is wrong. They should help that
child who has been traumatised and they should make sure that
they work with the US law authorities to see what can be
done about the other young boys who have committed this
offense," Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf told.
"Not only should they abide by the law, but they too
need serious counseling because clearly they are doing
something, something that is no longer acceptable in our
Sirleaf has tried to combat rape in recent years,
seeking to dispel stigmas by publicly acknowledging that she
was herself the victim of attempted rape during the country`s
But experts who study the developing world say the
parents` reaction highlights the struggles of many women
around the globe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference