Outgoing US Speaker to attend Nobel Peace ceremony
Oslo: Outgoing US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi will attend the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony in honour of jailed Chinese dissent Liu Xiaobo on December 10 in Oslo, the Nobel Institute said on Friday.
Pelosi`s presence will bring US attendance at the Nobel ceremony to an unusually high level, despite China`s sharp warnings to foreign governments on attending a ceremony to honour a laureate it considers a criminal.
Many Chinese dissidents in exile have also said they would attend the ceremony to recognise Liu, who is in jail and will not be able to come and claim his prize, the Institute said.
"Nancy Pelosi said yes," Nobel Institute director Geir Lundestad said.
"She will be the most prominent representative from the American side," he added.
Pelosi will give up her position as speaker of the House of Representatives after her Democratic party lost its majority in the lower house of Congress following the US mid-term elections.
However, she was voted to remain the top Democrat in the lower chamber as minority leader when the Republicans become the majority party in the House in early January.
The United States is traditionally represented at the Nobel ceremony by its ambassador in Oslo.
Attendance this year has taken on a particular significance as China warned countries that support the laureate would face consequences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM