Outgoing US Speaker to attend Nobel Peace ceremony
Oslo: Outgoing US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi will attend the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony in honour of jailed Chinese dissent Liu Xiaobo on December 10 in Oslo, the Nobel Institute said on Friday.
Pelosi`s presence will bring US attendance at the Nobel ceremony to an unusually high level, despite China`s sharp warnings to foreign governments on attending a ceremony to honour a laureate it considers a criminal.
Many Chinese dissidents in exile have also said they would attend the ceremony to recognise Liu, who is in jail and will not be able to come and claim his prize, the Institute said.
"Nancy Pelosi said yes," Nobel Institute director Geir Lundestad said.
"She will be the most prominent representative from the American side," he added.
Pelosi will give up her position as speaker of the House of Representatives after her Democratic party lost its majority in the lower house of Congress following the US mid-term elections.
However, she was voted to remain the top Democrat in the lower chamber as minority leader when the Republicans become the majority party in the House in early January.
The United States is traditionally represented at the Nobel ceremony by its ambassador in Oslo.
Attendance this year has taken on a particular significance as China warned countries that support the laureate would face consequences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Brahmos missiles deployment in Arunachal: India can do more for peace, rather than contrary, says China
- Iraq forces retake key town south of Mosul
- Pak asks world community to play role to resolve Kashmir issue
- NASA astronaut Jeff Williams goes click-click as US National Park Service celebrates centennial!
- Fire alarm forces AI to divert Mumbai-Newark flight