Outgoing US Speaker to attend Nobel Peace ceremony
Oslo: Outgoing US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi will attend the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony in honour of jailed Chinese dissent Liu Xiaobo on December 10 in Oslo, the Nobel Institute said on Friday.
Pelosi`s presence will bring US attendance at the Nobel ceremony to an unusually high level, despite China`s sharp warnings to foreign governments on attending a ceremony to honour a laureate it considers a criminal.
Many Chinese dissidents in exile have also said they would attend the ceremony to recognise Liu, who is in jail and will not be able to come and claim his prize, the Institute said.
"Nancy Pelosi said yes," Nobel Institute director Geir Lundestad said.
"She will be the most prominent representative from the American side," he added.
Pelosi will give up her position as speaker of the House of Representatives after her Democratic party lost its majority in the lower house of Congress following the US mid-term elections.
However, she was voted to remain the top Democrat in the lower chamber as minority leader when the Republicans become the majority party in the House in early January.
The United States is traditionally represented at the Nobel ceremony by its ambassador in Oslo.
Attendance this year has taken on a particular significance as China warned countries that support the laureate would face consequences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling