Outrage over IMF chief not paying taxes on salary
London: Reports of International Monetary Fund (IMF) president Christine Lagarde not paying tax on her 350,000 pounds a year salary have caused wide spread outrage.
Taxpayers in IMF member states, including Britain, fund her salary. Lagarde shares her tax-free status with United Nations diplomats as part of the 1961 Vienna Convention.
“It’s utterly disgraceful that these officials can jet around the world telling others to pay their share, while they live tax free,” the Daily Express quoted John O’Connell, research director of the TaxPayers’ Alliance, as saying.
“What’s even worse is that it’s taxpayers who pick up the bill. Urgent reform is needed to ensure they practice what they preach,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY