Outrage over IMF chief not paying taxes on salary
London: Reports of International Monetary Fund (IMF) president Christine Lagarde not paying tax on her 350,000 pounds a year salary have caused wide spread outrage.
Taxpayers in IMF member states, including Britain, fund her salary. Lagarde shares her tax-free status with United Nations diplomats as part of the 1961 Vienna Convention.
“It’s utterly disgraceful that these officials can jet around the world telling others to pay their share, while they live tax free,” the Daily Express quoted John O’Connell, research director of the TaxPayers’ Alliance, as saying.
“What’s even worse is that it’s taxpayers who pick up the bill. Urgent reform is needed to ensure they practice what they preach,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi