Outrage over IMF chief not paying taxes on salary
London: Reports of International Monetary Fund (IMF) president Christine Lagarde not paying tax on her 350,000 pounds a year salary have caused wide spread outrage.
Taxpayers in IMF member states, including Britain, fund her salary. Lagarde shares her tax-free status with United Nations diplomats as part of the 1961 Vienna Convention.
“It’s utterly disgraceful that these officials can jet around the world telling others to pay their share, while they live tax free,” the Daily Express quoted John O’Connell, research director of the TaxPayers’ Alliance, as saying.
“What’s even worse is that it’s taxpayers who pick up the bill. Urgent reform is needed to ensure they practice what they preach,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Lion' trailer: Dev Patel once again proves his acting brilliance – Watch
- US, Russia make headway on brokering truce in war-torn Syria
- Worms found in burgers from two Kentucky McDonald’s restaurants
- This is how billionaire Richard Branson looks after cheating death in a violent high-speed bike crash
- West Bengal hospital fire: Three killed, 50 children injured; Rs 2 lakh ex-gratia announced