Outrage over IMF chief not paying taxes on salary
London: Reports of International Monetary Fund (IMF) president Christine Lagarde not paying tax on her 350,000 pounds a year salary have caused wide spread outrage.
Taxpayers in IMF member states, including Britain, fund her salary. Lagarde shares her tax-free status with United Nations diplomats as part of the 1961 Vienna Convention.
“It’s utterly disgraceful that these officials can jet around the world telling others to pay their share, while they live tax free,” the Daily Express quoted John O’Connell, research director of the TaxPayers’ Alliance, as saying.
“What’s even worse is that it’s taxpayers who pick up the bill. Urgent reform is needed to ensure they practice what they preach,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic