Outrage over IMF chief not paying taxes on salary
London: Reports of International Monetary Fund (IMF) president Christine Lagarde not paying tax on her 350,000 pounds a year salary have caused wide spread outrage.
Taxpayers in IMF member states, including Britain, fund her salary. Lagarde shares her tax-free status with United Nations diplomats as part of the 1961 Vienna Convention.
“It’s utterly disgraceful that these officials can jet around the world telling others to pay their share, while they live tax free,” the Daily Express quoted John O’Connell, research director of the TaxPayers’ Alliance, as saying.
“What’s even worse is that it’s taxpayers who pick up the bill. Urgent reform is needed to ensure they practice what they preach,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- 'Don't abandon search for MH370,' plead families of victims
- Islamic preacher Zakir Naik's 'aide' arrested over alleged terror links
- Bhagwant Mann video row: LS Speaker seeks report on Parliament security, may summon AAP MP
- My presidency will restore `safety` in US, says Donald Trump in acceptance speech
- Vatican invited to mediate in Venezuela crisis