Outrage over Oz Islamic cleric`s fatwa calling celebrating Christmas `sin`
Sydney: Australia`s biggest mosque has removed an online post that called for a ``fatwa`` against Christmas after condemnation by the Muslim community.
The Lakemba Mosque had posted the religious ruling on its Facebook page on Saturday morning and warned followers it was a ``sin`` to even wish people a Merry Christmas.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the notion that Muslims wishing other people a Merry Christmas will take them out of their faith, which is outright ridiculous, laughable and borders on the extreme one of the posts from the mosque`s Facebook page that has been removed, the report said.
The head imam at Lakemba, Sheikh Yahya Safi, had told the congregation during prayers that they should not take part in anything to do with Christmas. Samier Dandan, the president of the Lebanese Muslim Association, confirmed to Fairfax that the post had been removed from the mosque`s Facebook page.
According to the report, he said a youth worker had copied the text of the fatwa from another Islamic website and it did not reflect Sheikh Safi``s lecture or the views of the LMA.
The fatwa, which sparked widespread community debate and condemnation, warned that the disbelievers are trying to show Muslims away from the straight path``, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Live: Jayalalithaa passes away after suffering cardiac arrest; Panneerselvam takes oath as new CM of Tamil Nadu
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what