Outrage over using taxpayers` money to fund Thatcher
London: Late Margaret Thatcher will go to her grave to the sound of bitter protests and anger at the fact the 10 million pounds funeral will be paid for by hard-pressed taxpayers already being battered by savage cuts.
Critics lined up to slam next Wednesday`s event and the five million pounds security operation that will prevent the chaos amid increasing fears of violence along the route from where the Iron Lady would be taken.
According to the Daily Mirror, Labour MP John Mann led the calls for her funeral, with full military honours, to be paid for privately.
He said that `no politician now or in the future should have their funeral paid for by the taxpayer`.
His colleague Graham Stringer called on a privatised industry such as BT to pay for the ceremony.
Around 27,000 people have signed an e-petition on the government`s website expressing their anger at being forced to pay for the funeral of a woman who made 400 pounds a minute from her speeches and was worth 9.5 million pounds.
A similar protest on change.org had attracted 1,500 signatures.
Hundreds of people have also demanded that Thatcher`s entire send-off should be paid for her by her family rather than just a part of it which has been agreed.
There was similar anger on Twitter .
JJ Briden tweeted that "if UK cannot afford to support the poor, weak, sick and vulnerable, why are we paying for a millionaire tyrant`s funeral?"
Cat Hartland-Welch added that "why are we paying for the funeral of someone who privatised Britain? Pay millions for that but treat poor and disabled people like beggars."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'