Outrage over using taxpayers` money to fund Thatcher
London: Late Margaret Thatcher will go to her grave to the sound of bitter protests and anger at the fact the 10 million pounds funeral will be paid for by hard-pressed taxpayers already being battered by savage cuts.
Critics lined up to slam next Wednesday`s event and the five million pounds security operation that will prevent the chaos amid increasing fears of violence along the route from where the Iron Lady would be taken.
According to the Daily Mirror, Labour MP John Mann led the calls for her funeral, with full military honours, to be paid for privately.
He said that `no politician now or in the future should have their funeral paid for by the taxpayer`.
His colleague Graham Stringer called on a privatised industry such as BT to pay for the ceremony.
Around 27,000 people have signed an e-petition on the government`s website expressing their anger at being forced to pay for the funeral of a woman who made 400 pounds a minute from her speeches and was worth 9.5 million pounds.
A similar protest on change.org had attracted 1,500 signatures.
Hundreds of people have also demanded that Thatcher`s entire send-off should be paid for her by her family rather than just a part of it which has been agreed.
There was similar anger on Twitter .
JJ Briden tweeted that "if UK cannot afford to support the poor, weak, sick and vulnerable, why are we paying for a millionaire tyrant`s funeral?"
Cat Hartland-Welch added that "why are we paying for the funeral of someone who privatised Britain? Pay millions for that but treat poor and disabled people like beggars."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India