`Outsides forces will complicate S China Sea row`
Beijing: The Chinese military on Wednesday warned
that efforts by Vietnam, the Philippines and other ASEAN
countries to internationalise the dispute over the sovereignty of islands and surrounding waters in the South China Sea by roping in outside forces for oil exploration would further complicate the issue.
"Any move, which is designated to multilateralise or
internationalise the South China Sea issue, will make the
question more complex and neither will it help," Chinese
Defence Ministry spokesman Geng Yansheng told a briefing for
the local media here today.
Geng repeated China`s "constant" and "clear" stance,
saying that China owns the incontestable sovereignty of the
islands in the South China Sea and their surrounding waters,
the state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
When asked to comment on the Philippines` attempt to
contest China on the issue by engaging other countries, Geng
said China always advocates for a peaceful solution through
bilateral talks and friendly consultations.
"We hope that concerned parties will behave in line with
the interests of regional peace and stability," he said.
China has already said ONGC Videsh’s oil exploration
programme in two oil blocks claimed by Vietnam will violate
On the navigation freedom in the waters, Geng said such
freedom has never been affected due to sovereignty disputes,
and China opposes any interference on the issue under the
guise of such an excuse.
Vietnam, Philippines and China, along with Brunei,
Malaysia and Taiwan have conflicting claims to all or part of
the South China Sea.
Tensions have mounted after the Philippines and Vietnam
accused China had taking aggressive stance to the disputed
area, which is believed to hold vast deposits of oil and gas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks