Over 100 killed in Nigerian church attacks: UN
New York: The UN human rights office has reported killing of over 100 people in Nigeria following attacks on churches by a radical Islamic group since last Sunday.
"The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) says that more than 100 people have been killed in Nigeria since last Sunday after several churches were attacked by the Boko Haram group," Xinhua quoted UN spokesperson Martin Nesirky as saying in a news briefing on Friday.
The bombing attacks were carried out on June 17 against churches in Nigeria`s northwestern Kaduna state.
On June 18, Boko Haram, a militant Islamic sect that operates mainly in northern Nigeria and the country`s capital of Abuja, claimed responsibility for the attacks.
"Thirty of those people were killed in the initial attacks at the churches in Kaduna, in the north of the country, and the subsequent retaliation by Christian youths," Nesirky noted. "The rest were reportedly killed in clashes between security forces and Muslims."
According to the spokesman, UN high commissioner for human rights, Navi Pillay, has condemned the attacks by Boko Haram against places of worship and religious freedom.
"She said that these were blatant attempts to stir sectarian tensions and violence between two communities that have lived together peacefully for so long," said Nesirky. "Systematic attacks against a civilian population, on grounds such as religion or ethnicity, would amount to crimes against humanity.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video