Over 100 weapons found after prison riot in Venezuela
Caracas: The Venezuelan government has announced that authorities confiscated 106 firearms, including rifles and submachine guns, ammunition and grenades, along with assorted illegal drugs, at the Uribana prison, where on January 25 a riot by inmates resulted in the deaths of 58 people.
At a press conference on Thursday, Penitentiary Service Minister Iris Varela confirmed the 58 deaths at the prison in the western state of Lara and once again accused certain media outlets of reporting the inspection operation at the prison early and in a way that "manipulated" viewers, which included some prisoners.
The minister said that the riot broke out as the operation was "calmly" under way when "a violent group ... using weapons" saw news reports of the raid and attacked both prisoners and members of the National Guard because they did not want to lose their "booty".
Varela said that authorities seized 27 revolvers, five shotguns, 62 pistols, four submachine guns and eight rifles at the facility.
They also seized several homemade weapons, along with 12 grenades, several dozen ammunition clips, 8,568 bullets of different calibres and an unspecified amount of cocaine and marijuana, she said.
Varela also said that the prisoners formerly housed at Uribana had been temporarily transferred to other facilities while the authorities carry out repair work, to be completed in about two months, whereupon the inmates will be returned to the site.
The non-governmental Venezuelan Prisons Observatory, or OVP, says that 63 people died in the riot.
According to the OVP, at least 591 inmates died and another 1,132 were wounded in 2012 in Venezuelan prison violence. That death toll is 5.53 percent higher than for the prior year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick