Over 100,000 Chinese officials punished in 2009
Beijing: A total of 106,626 officials across China were penalised for indiscipline last year, an official of Chinese Communist Party said on Thursday.
About 80 percent of them received punishments by the ruling Communist Party of China while the rest were penalised by the government, said Gan Yisheng, vice secretary of the Central Commission for Discipline Inspection (CCDI).
Those punished included party members, government workers and leaders of state-owned enterprises, Xinhua reported.
About 2.6 percent of those punished by the CPC were expelled from the party and referred for prosecution for embezzlement or bribery, Gan said.
Of the 14,000 corruption cases investigated by the CPC`s disciplinary watchdog, about 21 percent found involvement of civil servants. Investigations into a series of accidents involving serious consequences led to the exposure of 298 corrupt officials.
Gan said discipline inspection bodies received almost 1.32 million complaints between January and November last year, about 11 percent of which had been verified and 8.75 percent placed for investigation and prosecution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!