`Over 1300 lives lost to natural disasters in China in 2012`
Beijing: Over 1300 people were killed in natural disasters in China last year with such calamities also causing over USD 66 billion losses, an official statement said today.
About 1,338 people died and another 192 went missing in various natural disasters in China last year, according to a joint statement from the Ministry of Civil Affairs and the office of the National Committee for Disaster Reduction.
Disasters affected 290 million people, destroyed 906,000 houses, severely damaged 1.46 million houses and caused direct economic losses of 418.55 billion yuan (USD 66.55 billion) on the Chinese mainland, the statement said.
Over 200 county-level areas were each hit by more than 10 natural disasters last year, it said.
Floods, geological disasters, typhoons and hail were the major adverse conditions that hit China last year, and droughts, earthquakes, snowstorms, sandstorms and forest fires also occurred, it said.
According to the statement, the country`s western regions were hit by multiple earthquakes.
In 2012, the Chinese mainland was jolted by 16 earthquakes of magnitude 5 or above, and all occurred in the western regions, the statement said.
The number of casualties and damaged houses in southwest China, which saw a severe drought followed by several rounds of rainstorms and earthquakes in 2012, accounted for about 40 per cent of the nationwide total, it said.
The statement also noted that rescue and relief efforts were more difficult to carry out for disasters in the country`s least-developed areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks