Over 13,000 have embraced Islam in Dubai since 1996
Dubai: Dubai has witnessed over 13,000 conversions to Islam over the last 14 years particularly during the holy month of Ramadan, a senior official has said.
Huda Al Kaabi, head of the New Muslims Section at the Islamic Affairs Department, said as many as 13,946 people from 72 nationalities have embraced Islam in Dubai since 1996.
"These include 10,450 new Muslims from 2005 to 2009," Al Kaabi was quoted by Khaleej Times as saying.
"When people come to Dubai, they know better about the bright image of Islam, and how it tolerantly meets man`s needs in all places and times," she said.
While 3,043 people converted to Islam in 2009, the first half of 2010 saw 1,373 new Muslims -- most of them were from the Philippines, Russia, China and India.
"The nationality of most new Muslims differs from one year to another," Kaabi said, adding that more women than men opt for Islam.
"This year among the converts, 1,098 are women and 275 men. Likewise, 984 of the 1,365 new Muslims in the first half of 2009 were women, and 576 of the 878 people who embraced Islam in the first six months of 2008 were women," she said.
Some 391 people from 35 nationalities converted to Islam last Ramadan. According to her, the New Muslims Section provides fully integrated and free services to Muslims, new Muslims and non-Muslims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed