Over 20 Chinese students fall sick due to food poisoning

Over 20 students in a northeast Chinese province fell sick due to food poisoning and had to be rushed to a local hospital.

Last Updated: Dec 24, 2010, 19:51 PM IST

Beijing: Over 20 students in a northeast
Chinese province fell sick due to food poisoning and had to be
rushed to a local hospital, the state media reported on Friday.

The students of Deqiang Primary and Secondary School
in Harbin, capital of Heilongjiang province, began suffering
from vomiting attacks and diarrhea at about 4 pm yesterday,
Wei Jinghai, a school supervisor, told Xinhua news agency.

The students said they felt sick after eating noodles
with stewed long beans at noon in the school`s dinning hall,
but the school said they might have caught a cold during
physical education class.

Long beans can be poisonous if not thoroughly cooked.
Officers with the city`s hygiene and disease control
department said they will conduct tests to see if the students
had indeed suffered from food poisoning.

Most of the students had been discharged from the
hospital, the report said.

PTI