Over 20 fishermen missing in Russia: Report
Moscow: A Russian fishing trawler with at least 23 people on board has gone missing in the Sea of Okhotsk off the Kamchatka Peninsula, the ITAR-TASS news agency reported on Monday.
The Ametist vessel stopped transmitting daily position reports on Friday, with the search mission being hampered by heavy storms and poor visibility, the news agency quoted rescue official as saying.
The Interfax news agency said the trawler had 24 crew members on board and enough fuel to last until Tuesday.
An Il-38 maritime patrol aircraft and a helicopter had been dispatched to the region to help locate the trawler, whose crew had been fishing for crab, news reported said.
But wind gusts of up to 55 miles (88 kilometres) per hour had forced officials to temporarily call off their search Monday evening.
"The search and rescue mission will resume as soon as weather conditions improve," Interfax quoted a local rescue official as saying.
The vessel did not issue a distress signal before losing radio contact with the ground, ITAR-TASS said.
The Sea of Okhotsk lies west of Russia`s Kamchatka Peninsula and far north of Japan`s Hokkaido Island.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof