Over 200 wedding guests at Indian restaurant in UK escape fire

 Over 200 guests at a wedding reception had a lucky escape when a fire broke out at an Indian restaurant in the UK.

London: Over 200 guests at a wedding reception had a lucky escape when a fire broke out at an Indian restaurant in the UK.

The fire started in the kitchen and quickly spread to the roof of the Arooj restaurant on Attercliffe Road, Sheffield yesterday.

About 30 firefighters tackled the blaze, South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said.

The fire started on a cooker and spread through an extractor unit to the roof space, South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said.

"We believe over 200 people were present, attending a wedding celebration. All were evacuated unharmed," it said in a tweet.

Guests were later moved to a local mosque, the BBC reported without naming the nationalities of the people who were evacuated.

Sheffield is a city and metropolitan borough in South Yorkshire.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link

Close