Over 2,000 guests invited to Thatcher funeral
London: All surviving former British Prime Ministers and US Presidents are among the more than 2,000 guests invited to attend `Iron Lady` Margaret Thatcher`s funeral next Wednesday.
A representative of the family of former South African President Nelson Mandela and representatives from around 200 countries and international organisations have also been invited to bid farewell to Britain`s first woman Prime Minster, Prime Minister David Cameron`s office said.
Downing Street today released its initial guest list for the ceremonial funeral at St Paul`s Cathedral in London, which has a capacity of 2,300 and is expected to be full on the day.
The list also includes celebrities like Welsh singer Dame Shirley Bassey, theatre veteran Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber and Jeremy Clarkson, presenter of the BBC television motoring programme "Top Gear", who have confirmed their attendance.
The invitations, to be printed today and dispatched tomorrow, have been drawn up by Lady Thatcher`s family and representatives with the assistance of the government and the Conservative party.
However, one of Baroness Thatcher`s close allies, former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev (82), will not be attending due to health problems.
Her other Cold War ally, Ronald Reagan, will be represented by a member of the family as his widow, Nancy, is also believed to be too frail to travel.
It was also confirmed that Argentine President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner will not be invited, given the history of war of the Falkland Islands under Thatcher`s regime.
Others on the guest list from around the globe include former US Secretary of State Hilary Clinton and European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso.
The Queen and Prince Philip are already confirmed for the ceremony, the first funeral of a British politician the monarch will attended since that of Sir Winston Churchill in 1965.
The invitees include family and friends of Lady Thatcher, those who worked with her over the years, including all surviving members of her Cabinets, former Chiefs of Staff, Conservative associates, peers and MPs and representatives from the wide range of groups she was associated with.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation