close
This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

Over 25,000 Egyptians left Libya after beheadings

More than 25,000 Egyptians have fled Libya since the beheading of around 20 Egyptian Coptic Christians by the Libyan branch of the Islamic State (IS) terrorist group, the Egyptian foreign ministry announced Friday.



Cairo: More than 25,000 Egyptians have fled Libya since the beheading of around 20 Egyptian Coptic Christians by the Libyan branch of the Islamic State (IS) terrorist group, the Egyptian foreign ministry announced Friday.

The massive exodus of Egyptian citizens living or working in Libya began Feb 16 following the release of a video in which jihadis loyal to IS showed the beheadings of the Copts who had been kidnapped in the northern city of Sirte.

A foreign ministry statement said that a total of 21,407 of those Egyptians returning home entered Egypt through the border crossing of Al Salum in the northwest of the country.

Another 4,122 arrived by air at Cairo International Airport from Tunisia, where they arrived through the border crossing of Ras Ajdir, linking Libya and Tunisia.

Foreign ministry spokesman Badr Abdel Aty told Efe news agency earlier this week that there was no evacuation operation organised by the government and it was a voluntary decision by those citizens who decided to return home.

Following the release of the video of the beheading, the Egyptian Air Force bombed jihadi targets in Libya.

Egyptian President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi ordered his government to ban Egyptians from travelling to Libya, as well as to facilitate the return of citizens to Egypt.

 

From Zee News

0 Comment - Join the Discussions

trending

photo gallery

video


WION FEATURES

A wearable sticker that can prevent sexual assault

Neymar set to move to Paris Saint Germain

Council in Pakistan orders Revenge Rape of a 16-Year-Old

Photographing the world from a plane

Indian female cops are out in full force to protect women

Delhi's Mini Afghanistan: Far from war, these Afghanis have found their home in India