Over 320 civilians killed in 2009 massacre in Congo
Dakar: A human rights group says at least 321 civilians were killed by the Lord`s Resistance Army in Congo in a previously unreported massacre in late 2009.
New York-based Human Rights Watch adds that at least 250 people were abducted by the rebels, including at least 80 children during the killing spree in the Makombo area of northeastern Congo.
Senior Africa researcher Anneke Van Woudenberg calls the massacre "one of the worst ever committed by the LRA in its bloody 23-year history”.
Yet the massacre targeting at least 10 villages, which occurred from December 14-17, 2009, went unreported for months.
The LRA is a Ugandan rebel movement that was pushed out of Uganda and is now in a tropical forest straddling the border between Congo and the Central African Republic.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India