Over 40 killed in Darfur fighting: Sudan tribal source
Khartoum: Clashes between rival Arab tribes in Sudan`s western region of Darfur killed 41 people in three days, a tribal leader said on Sunday.
According to Ezzedin Eissa al-Mandil of the Misseriya tribe, the fighting broke out on Thursday when "members of the Rezeigat tribe attacked one of our villages west of the town of Kass" in South Darfur.
"They killed one person and returned on Friday, with fighting taking place from morning to night. There were also clashes on Saturday and in total 41 people were killed and 17 wounded," Mandil said.
The claim could not be immediately confirmed with the Rezeigat tribe or the governor of South Darfur.
But a spokesman for the joint UN-African Union peacekeeping mission in Darfur said UNAMID had received reports of fighting between the Nuwayba tribe, a branch of the Rezeigat, and the Misseriya tribe, without casualty figures.
Chris Cycmanick said that fighting reportedly took place near the towns of Kass and Nertiti. "But we don`t have any details on the number of victims," he said, adding that calm returned to the region today (Sunday).
"In the last couple of months there have been a low two-digit number of fatalities in Darfur, but in May there has been an increasing number of clashes," Cycmanick said.
"There has been more than 100 fatalities according to our report," he added.
The latest reported fighting came as the Rezeigat and Misseriya tribes had launched on Thursday reconciliation talks in Zalingei, in West Darfur, according to local governor Jaafar Abdelhakim Ishaq Adam.
"The dialogue continues and everything is fine," he said.
A devastating seven-year conflict between Darfur rebels and the Khartoum government has killed about 300,000 people and displaced another 2.7 million, according to UN figures. Sudan puts the death toll at 10,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid