Over 40 killed in Mexico after truck, bus collide
Mexico City: At least 43 people were killed when a cargo truck crashed into a bus on a highway in eastern Mexico, in one of the worst traffic accidents the country has suffered in recent years.
Pictures of the crash site near the municipality of Alamo Temapache in Veracruz state showed the side of the bus ripped open, with seats mangled by the impact and debris and luggage strewn across the road.
Mexican officials said the vehicles were travelling in opposite directions along the highway early on Friday when the rear trailer of the truck decoupled, smashing into the bus.
After the two vehicles collided, another heavy truck travelling behind the bus ploughed into the middle of the trailer, Veracruz state government said.
Milenio news network said the bus was carrying 70 passengers, but only had capacity for less than 60. Four minors were among the dead, a local municipal spokesman said.
President Felipe Calderon expressed his sadness over the crash in a message posted on his Twitter account.
"My deepest condolences for the families of those who died in the terrible accident this morning in Veracruz," he said.
Veracruz`s government said 27 people were injured in the crash, which occurred in a part of Mexico that has been plagued by drug-related gang violence in recent years.
Five of the injured were seriously hurt, local media said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof