Over 40 killed in Mexico after truck, bus collide
Mexico City: At least 43 people were killed when a cargo truck crashed into a bus on a highway in eastern Mexico, in one of the worst traffic accidents the country has suffered in recent years.
Pictures of the crash site near the municipality of Alamo Temapache in Veracruz state showed the side of the bus ripped open, with seats mangled by the impact and debris and luggage strewn across the road.
Mexican officials said the vehicles were travelling in opposite directions along the highway early on Friday when the rear trailer of the truck decoupled, smashing into the bus.
After the two vehicles collided, another heavy truck travelling behind the bus ploughed into the middle of the trailer, Veracruz state government said.
Milenio news network said the bus was carrying 70 passengers, but only had capacity for less than 60. Four minors were among the dead, a local municipal spokesman said.
President Felipe Calderon expressed his sadness over the crash in a message posted on his Twitter account.
"My deepest condolences for the families of those who died in the terrible accident this morning in Veracruz," he said.
Veracruz`s government said 27 people were injured in the crash, which occurred in a part of Mexico that has been plagued by drug-related gang violence in recent years.
Five of the injured were seriously hurt, local media said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India