`Over 4.2 mn officials in China punished`
Beijing: More than 4.2 million government and the ruling Communist Party of China officials were punished for indiscipline in the last 30 years, a Chinese anti-corruption official said.
Cui Hairong, deputy director of the National Bureau of Corruption Prevention (NBCP) told the fifth international meeting of the Hong Kong Independent Commission Against Corruption that 465 of the guilty officials were at the ministerial or provincial level, and more than 90 of them were convicted of corruption over the last three decades.
High-level officials, including Cheng Kejie, former vice chairman of the National People`s Congress Standing Committee; Hu Changqing, former vice governor of east China`s Jiangxi province; Wang Huaizhong, former vice governor of eastern Anhui province; and Zheng Xiaoyu, former head of China`s food and drug regulating agency, were sentenced to death, Cui said.
More than 42,000 officials were transferred to judicial organs on charges of corruption between 2003 and 2011, he said.
Cui said more efforts have been made to prevent corruption, including the 2007 establishment of the NBCP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- IPL Betting: Lalit Modi names three cricketers who were bribed
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report