`Over 4.2 mn officials in China punished`
Beijing: More than 4.2 million government and the ruling Communist Party of China officials were punished for indiscipline in the last 30 years, a Chinese anti-corruption official said.
Cui Hairong, deputy director of the National Bureau of Corruption Prevention (NBCP) told the fifth international meeting of the Hong Kong Independent Commission Against Corruption that 465 of the guilty officials were at the ministerial or provincial level, and more than 90 of them were convicted of corruption over the last three decades.
High-level officials, including Cheng Kejie, former vice chairman of the National People`s Congress Standing Committee; Hu Changqing, former vice governor of east China`s Jiangxi province; Wang Huaizhong, former vice governor of eastern Anhui province; and Zheng Xiaoyu, former head of China`s food and drug regulating agency, were sentenced to death, Cui said.
More than 42,000 officials were transferred to judicial organs on charges of corruption between 2003 and 2011, he said.
Cui said more efforts have been made to prevent corruption, including the 2007 establishment of the NBCP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued