`Over 4.2 mn officials in China punished`
Beijing: More than 4.2 million government and the ruling Communist Party of China officials were punished for indiscipline in the last 30 years, a Chinese anti-corruption official said.
Cui Hairong, deputy director of the National Bureau of Corruption Prevention (NBCP) told the fifth international meeting of the Hong Kong Independent Commission Against Corruption that 465 of the guilty officials were at the ministerial or provincial level, and more than 90 of them were convicted of corruption over the last three decades.
High-level officials, including Cheng Kejie, former vice chairman of the National People`s Congress Standing Committee; Hu Changqing, former vice governor of east China`s Jiangxi province; Wang Huaizhong, former vice governor of eastern Anhui province; and Zheng Xiaoyu, former head of China`s food and drug regulating agency, were sentenced to death, Cui said.
More than 42,000 officials were transferred to judicial organs on charges of corruption between 2003 and 2011, he said.
Cui said more efforts have been made to prevent corruption, including the 2007 establishment of the NBCP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed