Over 50,000 hopefuls for 150 posts in China
Beijing: Being employed as a public servant in China is viewed as a respectable job. But with the job market being so gloomy, about 50,000 candidates sat for a national exam in Shanghai to compete for 147 local government posts.
The fiercest competition was for one vacancy in the Huangpu district post administration, which attracted more than 1,100 candidates, the Shanghai Daily reported Monday.
Shanghai Customs, Shanghai Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau, and Shanghai Entry-Exit Frontier Inspection Station also had a huge number of candidates.
The three bodies are expected to recruit only 27 people.
Despite this, many test-takers said the exam was not the only way to secure a job.
Pan Zheying said she took the test to satisfy her parents` wishes. But she is also preparing for tests and interviews organised by business groups.
"Some state-owned companies also have aptitude tests. So it will not be waste of time preparing for the public servant exam," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Live: Jayalalithaa passes away in Chennai after suffering cardiac arrest; PM Modi pays tribute to Tamil Nadu CM
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what