Over 50,000 hopefuls for 150 posts in China
Beijing: Being employed as a public servant in China is viewed as a respectable job. But with the job market being so gloomy, about 50,000 candidates sat for a national exam in Shanghai to compete for 147 local government posts.
The fiercest competition was for one vacancy in the Huangpu district post administration, which attracted more than 1,100 candidates, the Shanghai Daily reported Monday.
Shanghai Customs, Shanghai Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau, and Shanghai Entry-Exit Frontier Inspection Station also had a huge number of candidates.
The three bodies are expected to recruit only 27 people.
Despite this, many test-takers said the exam was not the only way to secure a job.
Pan Zheying said she took the test to satisfy her parents` wishes. But she is also preparing for tests and interviews organised by business groups.
"Some state-owned companies also have aptitude tests. So it will not be waste of time preparing for the public servant exam," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY